Job Title: Leadership Developer***
Department: Eurasia - Japan
Status: Full time exempt
The purpose is to enable CRWM to participate in Spirit-led mission with churches and other Christian organizations in Japan in order to increase capacity for mission through a variety of leadership development ministries to strategic congregations and ministries.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. Engage in ministries to increase Japanese churches’ ability to disciple targeted groups and grow the evangelistic impact of the church.
2. In consultation with CRWM supervisor and colleagues, produce individual annual work plan, budget, and reports (financial and ministry).
3. Communicate and collaborate with the partner church (Reformed Church in Japan) and other applicable organizations and denominations.
4. Develop deeper friendships by living among the Japanese so they may gain insight into the missionary’s faith and life.
5. Help foster zeal in prayer among Japanese Christians as well as supporting partners.
6. Assist the team leader and other CRWM colleagues as an integral part of the Japan team, as appropriate.
7. Engage in ministries to increase the ability of Japanese churches to disciple targeted groups and grow the evangelistic impact of the church (e.g. youth, worship, the elderly, internationals, special needs folks, etc).
8. Service to North American churches:
a. Educate the CRCNA and others about the nature of the global church and its mission, encouraging them to develop a deeper passion and involvement in global missions.
b. Provide the CRCNA with insight and resources for ministry among minority racial/national/religious groups living in North America about which the missionary has knowledge and expertise.
c. Communicate the nature and value of CRWM’s ministries to the CRCNA and others through written communications, and through preaching/speaking engagements.
d. Raise financial support for the ministry of CRWM by developing and maintaining a network of supporting churches and individuals that will provide prayer, care, and financial support. The financial support goals will be set each year by CRWM.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Ministry takes place in NA (during home service) and in Japan (during field service). Main workplace in Japan will be determined depending on missionary’s gifts, needs and relationships that may be developed with sponsoring local church. There may be much travel to various ministry sites as part of the orientation process. Formal time of intense language study will likely involve commuting to a suitable language school.
Irregular schedule and work hours, demanding workload.
The successful candidate for this position will pass through two intermediate steps before taking up the tasks outlined in this position description; the rate range for each step is included.
Missionary Candidate: The purpose of this position is to prepare for international service by building a network of prayer, care and financial support in North America that will enable future ministry. Ordinarily, this will progress from part-time to full-time as the support network grows through the work of the candidate and the missionary support team that is designed for this purpose. One can expect to be in this role for 6 to 12 months, depending on how quickly the support network comes together. The pay range for this step is $19.82 US or $23.23 Canada on the CRCNA Domestic scale.
Missionary in Training: The purpose of this role is to develop language and culture skills, ministry skills and relationships that will enable future ministry, and begin to use those in ministry. Ordinarily, one can expect to be in this role for 6 to 18 months, depending on prior background and experience. The pay range for this step is $35,546 US or $38,004 Canada on the CRCNA International scale.
1. Mature and growing Christian faith marked by personal integrity and Christian discipline; professing membership in a Christian Reformed congregation and willing to sign the Covenant of Officebearers.
2. Clear understanding of and commitment to the Reformed faith and its applicability to the ministry context.
3. Commitment to the mission, vision and values of CRWM and determination to function in accord with CRWM’s key strategies and under the authority of appointed leader(s).
4. Ability to learn and appreciate another language and culture; competency to gain functional fluency in Japanese.
5. Ability to work well on teams and with people having a variety of perspectives and expectations as well as a variety of ethno-cultural backgrounds.
6. Ability to communicate well orally as well as in writing in international and NA settings.
7. Qualified as Discovery Bible Study leader-trainer and/or Timothy Leadership Training Master Trainer certification are highly desirable.
1. Master’s degree (M. Div.) with ordination in the CRCNA
2. Related ministry and international or cross-cultural experience are highly desirable.