Do you have a heart for people affected by natural disasters? Does the thought of working with volunteers and creating excellent opportunities for them to serve motivate you? Come join World Renew Disaster Response Services as a Program Manager. World Renew, an agency of the Christian Reformed Church in North America (CRCNA), has a full-time opening for a Program Manager for Disaster Response Services (DRS) in Byron Center, Michigan. This position will direct and manage the DRS Volunteer Groups Program and direct and manage the Early Response Program when disasters strike.
A detailed description is below. For consideration, complete an on-line application attaching a current cover letter and resume by July 20, 2018.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following:
Volunteer Group Program Management
1. Recruit, identify and select volunteer groups and coordinate beneficial assignments.
2. Recommend locations for group assignments, developing and maintaining productive relationships in select disaster areas, in coordination with DRS Director and Regional/Project/Area Managers.
3. Travel to and visit partner organizations whenever necessary to assure mutual understanding and a positive working relationship.
4. Accountable for the outcomes of volunteer group sites, including the satisfaction of the clients and the morale of the volunteers.
5. Supervise group leaders once on site as well as Facilitated Sites leaders once on site.
6. Determine best locations for Facilitated Sites and assure successful participation of groups.
7. Create and maintain a volunteer orientation/training program that enhances groups’ experience and effectiveness. Ensure special support and training is provided for group leaders.
8. Complete and update as needed; volunteer group program procedures, systems and policies.
9. Assure accurate and complete information is entered in the volunteer database.
10. Promote the Volunteer Group Program through presentations and meetings with church, business and nonprofit leaders and through community events with a special emphasis on new and diverse communities.
Early Response Program Management
1. Work closely with Regional/Project/Area Representatives to determine early response needs and opportunities.
2. Oversee the recruitment and deployment of qualified volunteers to respond in timely and effective ways when disasters strike.
3. Manage the logistics associated with early response, including: collaborating on decision-making regarding times and locations, assuring that essential paperwork is completed, participating in media releases including being available for media contact when appropriate, etc.
4. Continuously evaluate and improve the Early Response program to enhance timeliness, effectiveness, and overall impact.
1. Represent World Renew and DRS on boards and committees (e.g. NVOAD), as requested or assigned.
2. Other duties as assigned to achieve DRS and Disaster Response Team goals and objectives.
Supervises Program Coordinator, volunteers, and interns as needed or as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Member of a Christian church and commitment to the Statement of Faith documents included in the Covenant of Office Bearers for the CRC.
2. Demonstrated commitment to promote a work environment and respectful relationships that value diversity and equality
3. Committed to working towards gender equality in all aspects of our programming, plans, policies and organizational structure
4. Experienced in team leadership and supervisory skills
5. Professional, cooperative, and patient demeanor
6. Disciplined, self-motivated work style; able to function competently and productively with limited supervision
7. Good organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to multi-task
8. Intermediate writing skills with thorough knowledge of correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and general business English skills
9. Excellent telephone etiquette and follow-up with volunteers via phone, e-mail or in-person
10. Demonstrated ability to perform simple mathematical problems
11. Competent with computers, word processing and database management/utilization
12. Able to travel approximately 10% of the time to disaster response sites and off-site networking meetings is required.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in a related field is preferred.
2. At least two years of project management experience and/or extensive volunteer management experience.
3. Management experience in disaster response is a definite asset.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.