The Christian Reformed Church in North America (CRCNA), has a full-time opening for an Associate Editor working in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This position will be responsible for planning, scheduling, and substantive editing of all Banner articles for publishing in print and online; provide support for day-to-day Banner functions.
A detailed description is below. For consideration, complete an on-line application attaching a current cover letter and resume by March 29, 2019.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. In consultation with editor and planning team, plan future articles.
a. Evaluate solicited and unsolicited manuscripts in conjunction with editor and other staff; communicating article acceptance or rejection to authors.
b. Create overall Banner schedule as well as annual schedules for columns with regular contributors.
c. Collaborate with News editor in planning and scheduling, page allocating, etc. of News section.
d. Collaborate with director of communications in planning, scheduling, page assignments, etc. of Our Shared Ministry section.
e. Collaborate with Mixed Media editor in planning and scheduling, page allocating, etc. of Mixed Media section.
f. Solicit all feature articles and columns.
g. Work with authors on revisions to manuscripts.
2. Edit feature articles and columns for publishing online and in print.
a. Manage copyediting of articles.
b. Arbitrate and maintain editorial style standards for The Banner.
3. Route proofs and compile final corrections for design.
4. Attend all editorial meetings, chair Banner staff meetings when editor is unavailable.
5. Assist in Synod news coverage by editing and transmitting stories.
6. Provide on-site Banner staff presence; meet with walk-in Banner readers or authors.
7. Review invoices for The Banner and sign off on requests for payment.
8. Manage letters to the editor, giving template responses, determining which ones to publish and/or excerpt, etc.
9. Other duties as assigned by the editor.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
1. Professing membership in a Christian Reformed congregation, or of a church in ecclesiastical fellowship with the CRCNA, and agreement with the doctrine of the church signified by signing a covenant statement.
2. Ability to plan for, solicit, and evaluate articles.
3. Excellent substantive editing and writing skills.
4. A comprehensive knowledge of the Christian Reformed Church and its membership.
5. Ability to organize Banner workflow, maintain schedules, and troubleshoot difficulties.
6. Ability and willingness to work well in a team situation, including working with a number of off-site staff and a variety of other CRC offices and agencies.
7. A solid understanding of Scripture and the Reformed creeds, confessions, and worldview.
8. Excellent computer skills for email, web, social media, and word processing technologies.
1. Minimum Bachelor’s degree required in literature, journalism, or related arts major.
2. At least four years of editing experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Ability to work many hours per day at a keyboard.
● Ability, at times, to work beyond normal business hours
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.